A very common and simple dessert in Cuban households, mermalada deguayaba is like a tropical applesauce (though with a slightly different texture). While the traditional preparation is with guava, this is also made using mango when they are in season, so if you are unable to find guava in the stores, feel free to substitute.
“Mermelada de guayaba”
- Paring knife
- 12 guava
- coarse sugar
- Remove bad spots from guava with paring knife and then slice in half.
- Add all to boiling pot of water and cook 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Allow to cool a little and then add to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour through fine colander (mesh sieve) to allow water to drain.
- Add guava pulp to bowl and combine with sugar
(Approximately ¾ cup sugar per 2 cup pulp.)
- Chill and serve
**May follow this same recipe with mango!!!**